Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Fight your fear

I’ve noticed that we are normally our own biggest critic, at least in my case I am! Always second guessing myself or worried about what people will say about my ideas, or who will support me! And blah blah blah! Since I was a child I was always afraid to start new things in spite of failing. I never want to let people down especially my grandma! She use to always tell me how I perfect and proud of me she is so I think I always wanted to keep that impression. To keep that I never starting anything new which  allowed me to never fail anything!!  Being a mother was just another “excuse” I used. I don’t have the time, how can I balance life a kid and starting a business or anything else? 

You never know what you can do until you just DO IT!! Er



Modeling

Growing up I was always a Tomboy! A lot of people use to call me Scotty, based off my last name at the time. I don’t know if it was solely on the last name Scott or that I was such a tomboy! Probably a combination of both. It’s so funny cause one of my cousins still calls me that from time to time! I literally didn’t wear dresses or wear purses for a long time. When I moved to Atlanta i started to become girly! And that’s when my life of quiet shy tomboy Krystle became Aunje’ (that’s my middle name) I came into a world I never expect too!! The first video I did was for an Atlanta group called Edubb, now I have NEVER expected to be any type of video girl or model so it was truly unexpected. Remember I am a tomboy and shy I didn’t know how to be cute or sexy let alone in front of a bunch of people I don’t know and cameras! They say I was a natural, and they couldn’t tell I was nervous at all. Go figure! From there things took off and I can honestly say I was not expecting it at all! Through out my modeling career I’ve done over 20 music videos, 2 book covers, extras in tv shows, a local commercial and was a promotional model for Nuvo liqueur! Due to me putting myself out there to be uncomfortable opened me up to meeting so many different types of people, I was able to travel and make many connections! Most importantly it allowed me to come out of my shell! Without even knowing at the time it was preparing me for me next ventures! 

     
             

Kimaras Promise 

Once modeling started slowing down I was able to focus on something that really captured my heart! Giving back! When I was younger I volunteered with my church in Denver to build houses for Habitat for Humanity, we also use to go to Nursing homes! I can remember the feeling it gave me to just know and witness the love I was able to give back! I knew that I wanted to do more! When I gave birth to Kimara I made a promise to her that I would always do whatever it took to make sure she learned everything that I didn’t and i promised to never give up on her! Hints the name of my Non profit! Until I really knew exactly what I wanted the direction of it to go I just passed out food to the homeless. I moved back to Kansas City then had my son Kayden and in came the excuses again! I’m a single mother working and blah blah blah! I hated my job and I prayed that God please show me what I was supposed to be doing in life! That next day Kimara asked me “ Momma how come we don’t feed the homeless like we did in Atlanta” I had no excuses to give her, just told her we would start again! Then a few days later the best sign I could ask for (didn’t seem good at the time but it was) I got FIRED!! And Kimaras promise began. I wanted to give my promise to other mothers who may not have had anyone to give them a promise at life. So I put together an event to help women get back into the workforce, I wanted to provide interview tips, give business attire etc! I was putting in all my efforts (or so I thought). The day of I was so excited yet nervous. So many supporters and vendors showed up but only ONE person to receive the services! I was devastated and even cried at the event and I truly wanted to give up BUT I just couldn’t! After that I continued feeding the homeless but added toiletry packets, had team along with a pastor come out with me to do Gods work! Long story short I moved back to Atlanta and partnered with Good Will where I was able to actually put my ideas to use! Days before their job fairs I was able to help with resume writing, business attire and interview tips. Ended up working  with 3 different locations in the metro Atlanta area.





CenterLink

Another idea that was sent to me from God! When this idea came to me I was in the middle of doing homework. It literally popped in my mind “ you should put together a women’s brunch”. I was like huh where that come from. I left it alone and the next day something else popped in my head “ ask Lydia And Larese to help! Now these two ladies have never met but who am I to deny what God is telling me to do! So I set up a meeting and from there we created “Center Link” it was a way for women entrepreneurs to meet and network. Our first big awards brunch was in Kansas City where we all are from ( we lived in different cities Atlanta, Nashville and Los Angeles) there was so much planning that went into this. I was working, going to school, doing events for Kimaras Promise and had my two kids! But I felt soooo empowered that I couldn’t let that stop me!  The event was a total success even with the little hate we got (not really sure why when it was such an amazing thing for Kansas City, maybe because we didn’t live there anymore) either way we pulled that event off with a BANG! There were a lot of ups and downs not only because we were all in different states but 2 of us 3 never met until the week of the first event! I must say that we stuck together and was able to pull off yet another amazing Awards brunch in LA






Mom Ohh My

If you know me you know I am a natural nurturer! I’m the momma, a little too honest that it comes off mean or judgmental but will give you the shirt off my back and ride for you until the wheels fall off! I’m all about learning and passing on any knowledge. I mean what good is it if it stops at me! My heart is worn on both my sleeves. A few years ago I was told I should start a blog but I was like no one is going to listen to me I mean who am I ... and yes you guessed it the doubt alway comes into play! I can’t remember exactly what I was doing when the idea to start this blog came but I just knew it was time! I told no one of the idea cause as I’m sure you know when you tell someone you start getting all kinds of opinions and I did NOT want to go down that path! From starting Kimaras Promise I learned I needed to do my research before just jumping into it! I looked at other blogs to see how to make mine different, I wrote content ideas so I could stay ahead of the game etc. I think it had been 3-4 months of planning before I spoke a word of it! If working Center Link taught me anything it was social media is everything so I began using a hashtag #MomOhhMy just so when I did announce my blog people were already familiar with the name! Being Aunje’ (my model name/middle name) allowed me to become more of a people person and to know that everyone I came in contact with was a interview! I learned as Aunje that being myself is always enough so with this blog I plan to roll all of that into one and spread it to all you moms!! 


With getting older and experiencing life it started becoming clear that the only way you can fail is by not going for what you want! Even if your plan does not succeed the way you’d like then the lesson alone was well worth the shot! Take every loss and turn it into a win! Please share any fears you have with starting a business or just anything you feel afraid to try! Trust me you are not alone..

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear holds so many people back from great things, you’ve accomplished so much at such a young age with two kids.....what an inspiration to young moms who are scared to step out on faith and go for what they really want. One of my biggest regrets in life is not playing sports when I was younger. I’m naturally athletic and LOVE sports but my fear of failing outweighed my love for it at the time. If I’m not the best I don’t want do it, if it’s a possibility I won’t make it I won’t try out. A lot of that has to do with being concerned with others opinions. I hope after people read this they let go of fear and go for what they want in life!

Kj said...

Thank you! It does not seem like much at times but yes I have! I hope to be an inspiration to other mothers so I hope they take this and run with it! Funny you say that, I played softball but I didn’t go as far as I would have liked either I wish I also played basketball. Thank you so much for sharing and reading it’s greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

You’re welcome! It’s definitely a learning experience, I make sure my kid isn’t scared to fail. If he takes interest in anything I make him at least try it out. Sports, clubs, programs, etc. so far he’s not scared of anything lol.

Kj said...

That’s a great thing! I do that with both my kids as well, they have been braver than I ever was with a lot of things

Unknown said...

You are the boom it’s so beautiful to see how far you’ve be and how open you are about your life! Keep it up people need to here this!

Kj said...

Thank you I truly appreciate that! If I can help anyone with situations I’ve been it then my blog is working!! I appreciate you for reading!!

ESS said...

I love this post it’s so inspirational exactly what I need cause I want to go back to school but I have all the excuses why it won’t with the kids and me working overnight I have already aimed myself out before I even signed up. I really needed this!!!!!!

MomOhhMy! said...

I can not lie college with kids is tough BUT if it’s something you want you will make it work! The great thing is, you can pick your hours with school and if your major allows you can also go online! I did some online classes and it was perfect, i was able to do the work in my own time! I say go for it!