Thursday, January 16, 2020

While the kids were on winter break we were having a conversation about how Kimaras grandpa cut the tip of his finger off! Of course we had our little jokes on how we would call him nubs.  We’re horrible I know ha sorry PaPa Leo! 

Even though they are on break from school they were not on break from me, so of course I gave them some homework! Now unfortunately I don’t have a pencil sharpener at the house so a few times I have used a knife to get the pencil sharp! Hey I’m resourceful what can I say! And I’m pretty sure you can see where this blog is headed! 

Well I was on lunch, so I gave the kids their work and went up stairs to talk with Troy! Maybe about 15 min into our convo we get a knock... *Knock* Knock*Knock 
        “Hmmmm Kayden cut his finger”
Mind you she’s so patient and quiet as she’s saying this so I’m thinking nothing of it..... Until I get to the bottom of the stairs that is... blood was every where, the kitchen floor and sink leading through the living room and to the bathroom (thank goodness we have hardwood floors). Kayden is in the bathroom just looking crazy 

When I get nervous I really don’t know how to respond, and I know this about myself I just don’t know how to fix it! 
Y’all can already guess what he tried to do right... YUP tried to sharpen a pencil. 

Screaming “Kayden why would you not come ask for help” and he said “well I’m not hurt so it’s ok!” But as I’m looking at all the blood dripping he’s clearly not ok!  At this point now I’m flustered and going on and on about a lesson of why he shouldn’t touch knives. As if we haven’t had this many times. 

His pain is starting to kick in and he also thinks I’m mad at him so now he begins to cry!  Of course I’m feeling sad that I have him crying.. I want to hug and love on him all while giving him a lesson and clearly this is not working. I don’t know why all I could do was talk about the lesson he will learn from this as I’m cleaning and bandaging him up! By time I got the bleeding stopped he was done crying and then I was able to give him some love! 

I don’t know if I handled it correctly and I really don’t know if I should have been mad, or sad in the situation but I do know that he has not touched even a butter knife since then! Maybe I gave him a good balance of discipline and love but I’m not really sure! 

When situations you know you’ve warned your kids about happens how do you handle it? Do your emotions be all over the place or am I just the confused one and don’t know what emotion I should have??? Please share with me 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you handled it very well cause you definitely had to let him know the severity of what he did. I would have loved on him to show I wasn’t mad anymore it seems to break their heart if we are mad at them. When certain situation happen that I have warned them about I get extremely frustrated depending on what it is because they don’t always understand we’re trying to protect them so if it’s not too serious I sit back and see how they get themselves out of the situation or how they handle it.

Kj said...

Thank you! I need to work on just being more calm in situations like this!!

Kayana said...

You handled it well. Kids gonna do what they see their parents doing, good or bad. That why we have to explain to them certain things. Getting mad at them, they definitely will feel that and being to cry so now you feel bad for making them cry. It’s NO book on HOW to parent!!