Wednesday, January 8, 2020

No Phones Please

These days phones and tablets are taking over the word, when I was growing up we only had pagers, 2 ways and dial up internet.

Y’all remember!! it would take forever to load, ohhh and don’t let anyone be on the phone or it was war!! There is so much access to the open world via the net, I truly don’t think kids today would have survived in my day. It’s like they don’t know how to play and be creative, inventive or even just go outside anymore.

Well except my son Kayden (7), I can’t get him to come in some days. I know they couldn’t keep us in the house growing up and oh don’t let us dare say “we’re board”.  There was too many of us to be bored. My brother, cousins and I use to create our own parties where the boys would dress up as clowns, we’d have our stuffed animals as party guest and we would have a BALL you hear me!!

 
In order to help my kids with a creative mind and free their eyes and brains from the world of phones and television, I decided we would create our own board game!! 
It was similar to most board games in where if you landed on a certain space you had to pick a card.
SIMPLE CREATIVITY: 
For this game, we used: Cardboard, Lined paper, Crayons and 1 Die 
(Ok moms, I said this was a place to be honest right? Well we didn't have any dice so....I covered a #BedroomKandi die with paper and wrote the numbers on it) #Don'tJudgeMe
One deck was colored Red by Trinity (7), on the back were silly things to do such as “ dare the person to your right to do something”, “stand on one foot until your next turn” or “run around the house outside one time”. 
The second deck colored blue by Kayden (7), had educational things like “ finish the problem 9 + ____ = 27”, “tell me 2 things you like about yourself” and “use happiness in a sentence”.  
 
Kimara (15) colored and wrote in the spaces on the board; then they all drew things specifically to their liking around the board. 
This way we all had a hand in making the game, allowing us to spend quality family time together. It was actually fun we played back to back only we couldn’t come up with a name soooo this is where we need your help!! 
Any suggestions?? 
Please share any ways or ideas you get your kids off the phone!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think This is so dope and thoughtful as a parent!! Like we were always out sound I don’t even think we knew what a cell phone was lol just made games up!!

Kj said...

This is sooo true, I didn’t have a cell phone until high school