Sunday, January 5, 2020

Changing Behaviors



I don’t know if it’s a second kid thing or just a boy thing but when I tell you Kayden has taken me on many roller coasters with his behavior. Not to say Kimara hasn’t sent me on some for other things, just not behavior!! (Thanks moe) There has been times I had to lock myself in the bathroom due to knowing if I whooped him I’d relay hurt him and trust me that’s not a good feeling!

Kayden has always been his own person, I call him my sour patch kid! He know what he wants, what he likes and nothing is wrong with that UNTIL you try and make him do what he does not want to or wear something he does not like haha. Some things he will be very vocal about and others it just comes out in tantrums, pretty sure the tantrum just comes from not knowing how to express it! But lil man chill! We are the same sign so we’re pretty much the same person, things he does sometime I can’t even be mad about because I’m pretty sure I’ve done it to my mom. At the same time he is the sweetest caring and gentle young man when he needs/wants to be and I truly love that about him! He holds the door open for women and when he gets money he always asks if he can give some to the homeless! But anyway back to his behavior. 

Last year in 1st grade he had a problem in school with following rules. I really thought I would be grey by the end of the year. He had an attitude with any and everyone from me down to his coaches and it seemed to not get better with a whooping, yelling, time outs taking things lol I’ve tried it ALL believe me.  It would work for a day or week then back to his attitudes! These were not normal kid attitudes, one time I put him in time out and when I came back he had tore his sweatpants from the top of the thigh to under his knee! (Insert baffled look) At one point I really was just like this is him he will be like this forever I’m over it and throw in the towel. That thought didn’t even feel right, that’s not me to give up especially not my own child, what kind of mother would I be? Hell I’ve put up with worse from men. 

I drew up some contracts for both the kids, Kimara’s was for her grades and keeping her room cleaned. Her grades are always amazing but she had one C in a class so basically the contract was for her to get that grade up, maintain the others and keep her room cleaned with out me having to tell her! Kayden's was for his behavior (OBVIOUSLY) in class they get a daily color based off of their behavior so his goal was to try and keep between a blue and green as well as at home he needed to have good behavior. With these contracts they were rewarded  at the end there were also Consequences. Any time I had to tell Kimara to clean her room or anytime Kayden got a red in school a $ amount came off of their reward! Kimara's grades Improved but I had to tell her to clean that room way too many times go figure! Kayden's behavior was good during the period of course he had days that were bad but it seemed to be better than normal! 

They both got their reward at the end of the 3 month contract (with deductions)  it seemed to help them both! I think it was a good run but only productive due to the reward at the end, because as soon as it was over the old Kayden was back. They did not understand the bigger picture I was trying to make. Yes good behavior and hard work brings rewards but you should want to be the best person you can be regardless. You know they say don’t give expecting to get!

This year 2nd grade, we moved and Kayden is in a new school. When I tell you I have been contacted sooo much by his teacher, I mean behavior I really don’t approve of! He was kicked off the bus for fighting, he’s been being a bully, wrote a letter cursing and more. I have some ideas of what is bothering him that I’d rather not discuss. I’ve talked with him and expressed my feelings and how we went through the same things growing up! We’ve cried together, we’ve yelled at each other and I’ve whooped (not much lately I don’t think it really helps him). Mainly taking things from him gets to him the most so that really gets his attention! But talking being open and honest helped us to be closer! I’ve prayed long and hard on how to be sane with patient with him asking to please just show me the way! 

I try and tell both my kids something positive in the morning as they leave for the day!  My favorite one for Kayden is “You’re a King, be a leader” ! So we started to listen to meditating affirmations in the morning daily!  This has honestly been the most helpful rewarding thing I could have done! It’s been 2 months straight of all greens! At home he’s happier, helpful and just his mood is a lot better! Oh I also had to stop him from playing Fortnite ALL the time, rap music is a no no no (he was listening to stuff I’ve never heard, boy how did you even know of this)

A few days ago he stopped me and said “Mamma I have not been in trouble in a long time” 

I couldn’t do anything but smile and say “I know son I’m very proud of you!”

I’m sooo glad I did not give up or give into people telling me he just needs a ass whooping... NO that does not work for every kid and it wasn’t working for mine! Learning your kids and works best for them is KEY! Never give up and  keep fighting no matter how long it takes because it will all be worth the work!

One morning we were rushing so I didn’t put the affirmations on, and believe it or not Kayden said “momma, are we not going to play the meditation” 

Had to hurry and play it even if it was only for one minute!!

Last week he got an orange for talking and he felt bad about it when he came home! Told me what happen and owned up to it (his teacher and principal always tell me they love that he’s honest and never lies about what he has done) I told him I’m glad it wasn’t a red and that you know what you did so just continue to work on it! 

I know every day is not going to be peaches and cream or rainbows and butterflies but the improvement has been amazing! Knowing that he knows what he is doing wrong and willing to work on it is rather remarkable for a 7 year old! 

I knew it wasn’t going to be easy but whew they didn’t warn me about this... what are some things your kids have struggled with as far as behavior and please share any tips in case these affirmations tend to slip away from working Ha!!! 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it!! Great job on be proactive and aware!!

Kj said...

Thank you I appreciate it a lot!

Anonymous said...

I love the relationship you have with your kids and me knowing you you’re too strong to ever give up. That’s amazing I need to look into those meditations and maybe even those contracts...Cause Shaud isn’t doesn’t struggle with behavior but he just doesn’t care about nothing to me. He doesn’t take school serious when he is struggling he would rather look lost instead of asking for help and it’s so frustrating to me cause he won’t communicate with me why he won’t take it serious so I need to find ways to help him take his school work more serious without me getttjng frustrated everyday when it comes to homework. Since he is the only boy of six grandkids he is used to things being handed to him cause my parents cater to him (rolling eyes) so when things get hard he shuts down and give instead of pressing forward cause normally my mom would be there to baby him or helo him alone the way. HELP!!!!