Monday, February 10, 2020

Boarder line paranoid..

I posted the other day on my social media pages how i have daily worry about my kids, which led me back to a conversation i had while i was in FL! The girl (no need to mention her although I’ve told her i was going to write this blog about her and anything i say here I’ve already said to her) i stayed with has a son around Kaydens age. 9 to be exact! By the way for the boys first time meeting they adjusted very well and quickly to each other which was shocking because Kayden is a cancer like me and it takes us a while to open up!

Anyway back on track Krystle...

I don’t know if I’m just overly protective and cautious with my kids but i feel like it’s very necessary with the way times are these days. The son is able to play outside and basically has no restrictions on where he is able to go since he has a watch his mother can call and track him on. This was an issue for me. Kayden can go outside however if i can’t see you and you can’t hear me than sir you are too far. Every time they wanted to go outside I’d hear Kayden say “my mom is not going to let me go there” after a while the uncle just started going so Kayden could (shoulder shrug).

There is a park he likes to go to that was out of the neighborhood and a little bridge needed to be crossed to get there! This park is huge with baseball fields etc so that’s when my mommy mode kicked in #OhhMy. Now i try and mind my business but i just wanted to know how she was comfortable with that!  Basically she said she has lived there for so long that she knows the neighbors and the area so she does not worry! It’s an older city so most the people there are old and retired! Ok that’s all fine and dandy buttttt IF you know me i have a rebutle for everything . Ok the people around you are old but you do not know their company! Also people come into these types of areas to do crime for that reason.

I have heard way too many stories on the news of kids being snatched right in front of their parents so you think they won’t do it when a little boy is alone. She went back on how she can track his watch she even went on to show me what all she can see on the tracker! And I’m like ok what if the kidnapper throws the watch where he takes him! That comment made her silent for a moment.

She understood where i was coming from and it did make her second think! Now It’s not for me to judge or change anyone’s parenting because parents have to do what’s right for them and their situation! However i was glad that i was able to at least make her re think it! I haven’t talked with her much since then so not really sure if anything has changed but I’m sure it has not since she was very secure with her decision.

Ohh ohh another thing she mentioned is that she did not want to keep him cooped up in the house, which I’m all for that as well. BUT a child can still be outside with restrictions and not be cooped up but again that’s just me.

Times are so different from when i was a kid, hell my daughter will be 16 this year and over the last months to a year I’m just now letter her walk the neighborhood! Thinking back to when i was her age i use to be out every where. Sometimes i wonder how I’d be if i just had a little more restriction . Not saying that I’m just  out here all Willly nilly or anything but y’all get what I’m saying! This might just be one of the reasons why I’m so overly cautious. I know there were many situations that i was in that could have went left.

Anyway y’all, am i being to paranoid, since i have a little boy? Should he be able to have a little bit more freedom than the girls? What are the rules with your kids while playing outside?  Please comment below!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG this is me!! I am so paranoid and over the top with my kid. It's kids everywhere in our old neighborhood and they stayed outside all day and played ( which I'm thankful for no technology all day) but I was out the house checking on him at least twice an hour. He had surgery a few years ago and one of the neighbors said 'oh is that why you're so overprotective? I've always wondered why you're always outside watching him' LOL. Little does she know that has nothing to do with it. He's older now and wants to go walk around the mall with his friends and its such a struggle letting him out of my sight.

MomOhhMy! said...

Trust me i totally get it! It’s not that we don’t trust our kids it’s the other children and predators we worry about! Don’t let up until you feel comfortable and you know who he’s around! Someone you know will try and help if something happens. It’s scary out here, before my daughter was in high school I’d take her to the mall and let her walk but i was at the mall too lol I’d just walk else where