Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Birds of a feather

Do you think the saying “Birds of a feather flock together” is true? I’m kind of on the fence with this one! I know from the outside looking in, in some eyes you are guilty by association. But from experience I know this is not always the case. Growing up I had friends that were into things that I was not, well maybe a little later in life. But none the less, their behavior was not a influence on me.

I think it all depends on the persons mind frame and where they are in life! Times are a lot different then when I was coming up, so many different influences and society to keep up with that it makes me worry about my kids! They are both at points in life where the people they hang around have a big impression on them.

Before Kimara started high school I had a talk with her and her close friends how different it was going to be from middle school. HighSchool is the belly of the beast, everyone will start feeling themselves and trying to fit in! Advised them that by the end of 9th grade some of them probably won’t even be friends, and yes everything I told them came true. I have noticed the different type of friends that Kimara has, she may alter a little bit about herself. May be just little things like words she uses, activities she want to do at school but I notice it. There have been a few friends I did not care for but I would never want to make her end a friend based off my “Mom vibes” ! Another reason why I try to be as open and honest with situations I’ve experienced, how I handled it and/or how I wished I would have handled it knowing what I know at my age. She comes to me with questions and that’s when I’ll give my opinion! But for the most part I try and allow her to make the right decision.

Since Kayden has changed schools this year I have noticed a change in his behavior as well! The school is not to my liking as far as the students there. I even asked his teacher her opinion on it after she stated that she wanted her daughter to go there! She agreed the academics were good BUT the students not so much! If you know my son you know he’s a sour patch kids so I know he’s not perfect and does what boys do buttttt this year (well the beginning of the year) he was out of control! What gets me is he knows what he was doing is wrong and always justified it by who else was doing it.... BIG SIDE EYE!!!

Maybe I do believe the saying because, even though I can not monitor who my kids hang with at school I sure can when they are outside of school! And I have been that mom to ask “Who’s going” oh she going NOPE you can’t go lol! One of Kimaras BFF’s mom and I are close and for a few years if one couldn’t go then the other couldn’t either! Only because we knew if anything happened they would be together and we know they won’t let the other do anything they are not supposed to!

I trust my kids, it’s just the other kids that scare me! Its sad to work so hard making sure your kids are well behaved and know right from wrong then have to worry about other kids who may not be getting that attention OR just have a I don’t care attitude!!

Comment below and let me know if you believe the saying “Birds of a feather flock together” and how you handle your children with their friends!

No comments: